Southern California Live Steamers - Miniature Railroad Photography By: Photography By: Photography By: Photography By:
Copyright 2009, Absolute Internet, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Southern California Live Steamers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Railroad Tracks, Layouts and Rolling Stock > Rolling Stock Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

stock car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stock car
    Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 10:53am
I, Tom Downing have started to build on 3-09 a new car that will hold the propane tanks that goes behind the club's American steam loco. There was a flat car with a side mount type propane tank that was being used for this but it didn't look good to me and only having one big tank doesn't seem to work as well as having two small tanks. Also the small tanks are easy to get filled and haul around.

First I removed the old steel plate deck from the flat car and cut the old steel frame in half. I then welded two 1x2 steel tubes in with a 3" drop so the tank tops well be low and the roof of the car will not stick up too high and look funny in a train.

I also had to rebuild the end of the car as the coupler was too high. After doing this, I took the car out and we ran it behind the loco to see if all was OK and it was, just a little lite for the spring switches but I think it well be OK when the body is on it. For the body I had an HO and a G scale stock car, a photo of a stock car out of a book, and a car builders book that has a lot of detail info on older wood cars for my info base.

I played for some time with the sizes to be use on the car. I knew it couldn't be too long as it has to fit on the steaming bay behind the loco but not to short that it looks funny so it is 57" long. It has to be around 15" wide and under 16" tall this is not the scale sizes of a stock car but if you scale an old stock car it will not look right.  I have found this out in the past, as the car would be 14" wide x 14.5 tall and 4' + long and it just doesn't look right to people and they will ask "what's going with that car?".  As when building a car sometimes not being right is the right thing to do? Note this also works when racing cars.

For the strips of wood used on the siding I used 1/8 thick Luann plywood and cut it 1 3/8" wide. I might use 1/4" thick next time. For the outside framing I'm starting with kiln dried 2x4 for stock and ripping it down on my table saw so I can get some clear wood cheap. The uprights ended up being 3/8" x 3/4" with the baseboard/sill being 1/2" x 1 1/2" and the top board/plate being 1/2" x 1  1/4". I have been using Liquid Nail to hold the joints and 18 gauge escutcheon pins too look like small lag bolts. It is a lot more work to put the pins on all the joints but it gives the cars detail a lot more depth. The side doors were just made out of smaller sizes of the 1/8" plywood.

After sanding all the wood and putting it together I just use some brown spray can primer to seal the wood. I have one side done so far and hope to get the other done this week and start on the ends hopefully in a few more weeks it will be all done and looking good. After looking at the car side I built now I'm thinking I may have to build at stock car for my self ?

Edited by PhilC - Apr 22 2009 at 12:28am
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic