Southern California Live Steamers - Miniature Railroad Photography By: Photography By: Photography By: Photography By:
Copyright 2009, Absolute Internet, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Southern California Live Steamers Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Railroad Tracks, Layouts and Rolling Stock > Rolling Stock Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building my riding car:Part 1 Frame asy.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie
Mr Steam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building my riding car:Part 1 Frame asy.
    Posted: Sep 04 2009 at 9:24pm
Below is a step by step on how I am building my riding cars. They are based off our current riding cars that we use to pull the public. The sides and ends were made using 1/8" flat stock, the center section and cross braces are 1"x3"X.060" tube, and side stiffeners are 1"x1"x.060". The first pic is the material for the project. 

Next I used my plasma cutter to cut the sides. This could also be done using a cut-off wheel or jig saw though it would take more time.

Here I have the sides cut and I am grinding smooth any cut marks left buy the plasma. I clamped both pieces together to ensure they would be exact.

Next I tack welded the stiffners to the sides.

Here I have the ends tacked on and am checking the assembly for squareness before welding the corners.

After the outer frame was squared I added the interior framework. I took extra care to clamp all components in place and stagger my welds to prevent distortion.

Here the frame is welded and holes drilled for the couplers and trucks.

I took the car down to the club for a test run using the club trucks and couplers. The car worked perfect. I pulled Rudy and his boy with no problems on an improvised seat.

I still have to add the bolsters and make some minor tweaks to the coupler pockets. I will be starting the woodwork next week and hopefully have the car completed by next weekend.

Edited by Steve C - Sep 05 2009 at 7:21am
Sponsored Links

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic